The trials, tribulations and nonsensical babbling of a triathlete training for her first Ironman.

Thursday, January 12, 2006

Be Positive

That was my new year's resolution. How quickly that flew out the window after my run yesterday. It was such a beautiful day out and for the first 10 minutes of my run, I was truly enjoying it--it was uncommonly warm for January (8 degrees!) and the sun was trying to come out. The birds were singing--it was almost like spring!! And then the wheels fell off the wagon. For whatever reason, I couldn't get my heart rate to settle down. I had to do a lactate balance point run--which means I run for 40 minutes with my heart rate at 137.5 (my lactate balance point). I could barely keep my HR at 139 without slowing down to an almost walk. It was SO frustrating because I know I'm not a slow runner. Out of the 3 disciplines, I consider running to be my strongest. I got so down on myself I almost wanted to stop. My coach responded to my training log with "this means we have to work on your endurance fitness". What the HELL have I been doing for the last 3 months then?!?!? I started training at the beginning of October and I honestly expected to see better results by now. My husband, always the voice of reason, reassured me that it's not about going fast now, which I know, but it still didn't put me in a better frame of mind. He also reminded me that I'm going to have good and bad training days. I guess I'll just chalk this one up to a bad training day.

On a postive note, I managed to swim 2500m in 49:41, which made me happy. And I had no panic issues in the pool which was nice, since I was a little apprehensive about this swim. I always get squirrley when I have to swim a longer distance non-stop, I don't know why really. I kinda have to get over it if I'm going to swim 3.8 km straight in July. So, this morning's swim was a step in the right direction. We'll see what happens when I get in to open water again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home