The trials, tribulations and nonsensical babbling of a triathlete training for her first Ironman.

Monday, May 08, 2006

Ride From Hell

Once again, Mother Nature decided to test me this weekend. On Saturday I had a 5.5 hr ride followed by a 30 minute run. 6 hours of exercise. Good lord. Anyway, the forecast said it was supposed to be 12 and sunny. Ok, perfect. Saturday morning we get up and it's 6, overcast and rainy. Oh joy. We get out to where we're riding from (north of the city) and it's even colder. And the wind, ah, the wind. It was apparently 28km/hr out of the NW. Yeah, more like 35 + km/hr. And we rode into it for the first half of the ride. To give you an idea as to how bad it was, it took Sue & I 2 hours and 45 minutes to cover 61 km. Whereas on a "normal" day we'd probably do that in just over 2 hours. There were points where I was almost stopped the wind was so bad. But, I am trying to keep a positive frame of mind here--that ride, even though it killed me--totally made me stronger. The sun eventually came out towards the end of the ride so that helped my spirits. But Saturday was a tough day. The chicken parmigiana sandwich that I had at the little Italian cafe was a little (ok HUGE) slice of heaven.

Sunday wasn't too much better since my legs were punched from the ride the day before. I had a 2 hour and 15 minute run which was a bit of a suffer fest. But I did it. I was VERY glad to see home that's for sure. Now, we're on an easy week (WOOOOOHOO!) which means I get to sleep in a couple of extra days this week. (YAY!) Now if only my allergies would let up, I'd be laughing....

1 Comments:

Blogger Eileen O'Connell said...

Hi there! When you say north of the city....were you up in our neck of the woods this weekend? We saw some "crazy" people biking along county rd 14 near Tottenham....could that have been you? I said to Cornelius,"I bet Phae is riding in that bunch." Let me know....if you were, we have cheaper (and I like to think better) food to offer to a bunch of crazy people training for a tri! LOL!

2:36 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home